Prospero's Japan Itinerary
- Dec. 24 - Arrive at Tokyo's Narita Airport (NRT) at 7:10am in Terminal 2.
- If you need to get Japanese Yen, look for the 7-11 owned ATM machines. These are the ATM machines that most regularly accept foreign cards (make sure your pin number is 4 digits), and generally give the best exchange rate. (7-11 also runs a bank in Japan).
- You must first take the Narita Express Train to Tokyo station. The train leaves from downstairs and costs $28 per person (3,020 Yen). There is also a discounted ticket for children under the age of 12. This train takes 53 minutes to get to Tokyo Station.
- You can buy tickets from JR (Japan Rail) counters in the terminal, and there are also usually JR employees selling tickets at the train platform. Don't worry about being ripped off, the Japanese will never try to charge you more than the true cost.
- Once in Tokyo Station, you want to board the next train to Iiyama Station. Follow the signs in the station to the JR Shinkansen lines. The easiest way to buy this ticket is to go into a JR ticket counter in Tokyo Station and say you want to go to Iiyama. The JR employee will put you on the next available and fastest train.
- This ticket will cost $82 per person if you get a reserved seat.
- When you arrive at Iiyama Station then head downstairs to the main exit (where the escalators are), and look for the Nozawa Onsen Liner bus. Last winter, this bus stop was outside and to the left at platform #4 (might be a different platform this winter). This last shuttle to Nozawa Onsen leaves Iiyama station at 9:15pm so you will have plenty of time.
- If you refer to take a taxi from the Iiyama train station to Nozawa Onsen, the taxi journey is 25 mins. In the unlikely case that you can't find a taxi, there is a 7-11 convenience store that will be open and will have Wifi and a phone. To get to this 7-11, you exit the Iiyama train station, turn right, and follow the raised train tracks for a few hundred yards.
- Your accommodation in Nozawa Onsen is the Ryokan Sakaya. Below is the address in Japanese in case you need to show a taxi driver.
- If you are on the bus from Iiyama Station, then get off at the last stop in Nozawa Onsen and walk to the Rokan Sakaya
- Dec. 24 - 29: Stay at the Ryokan Sakaya in 2 Japanese Deluxe rooms and one Japanese Twin room, including breakfast. Your reservation is under the name Prospero Bailey.
If you are interested in travel insurance for your trip click HERE